Back in a Flash

As usual, it has been quite some time since I posted last.  This past semester has been insane and a lot has changed since my last post.  I'll fill you in later, but in the mean time, as I get the ball rolling again, here's one of the projects I just turned in that I'm pretty proud of. 

For my Visual Displays class, we had to come up with a store design from the ground up and create a model to scale of that conceptualization.  I chose to do mine on 3.1 Phillip Lim and drew inspiration from current flagship stores around the world.  

 I spent some time conceptualizing, and about a month actually constructing the model.  My craftsmanship in the beginning was a bit shotty as you can see, but as time progressed I got better with the x-acto knife and glue gun. 

I used foam core boards, a hot glue gun, an x-acto knife, acetate sheets, wire, origami paper for the flooring that I hand painted and shadowed in with grey color pencil, and card stock for the actual model.  

In regards to design, I wanted to keep it super clean, white, and minimal like other 3.1 Phillip Lim stores.  I wanted to keep the brand sensibility, but at the same time incorporate my love for lines and textures, which I tried incorporating in my model.  Taking into account sight lines and direction of shoppers and retail science (yes that's a real thing), I designed the floor plan in a matter where shoppers would either go to the right and up the stairs, or straight back and along the way make their ways into each room.  There's really a lot going on but whatever, its done!  

Oh yeah, I also got a trophy for this project for Best Design and was judged my Paul Frank, Randy from M. Nii who is a recipient for GQ's Best New Menswear Designers of 2014, and Roger and Tamra who are two industry badasses.  Take a gander if you want at this beastly to scale model I did!




Second Floor Men's


Women's First Floor. Interior walls replicated from exterior


Front Exterior 



Hand scored second tier exterior


Individually cut and glued sheets for texture (exterior)


Model exterior


Second floor interior




First floor interior



Stay tuned for more, and I'll catch you guys next time.

Cheers!

-Htang.

No comments:

Post a Comment