Self-Sustaining Grub

Believe it or not, we're living in a world where the green do-ers keep doing, the unbelievers keep unbelieving, the don't care-ers--well, don't care, and the deny-ers keep denying. Right? (And yeah I know that entire sentence/fragment/ whateveryoucallit was a hot mess.)

Anyway, I was talking to a buddy today and he tells me by 2015, Ellis Island is going to be under sea level, and all that's going to be left will be Miss Statue of Liberty herself--hooey!  I'm all for going green and we all have our "not-so-green vices" so I'm not claiming to be the "Green King" but yesterday one of my best friends and I visited a self-sustaining seafood restaurant out in Huntington Beach called Slapfish.  

Sustainability is a balancing act between supply and demand, and Slapfish believes in taking resources from the ocean without harming the wild marine life's eco-system.  Slapfish works closely with an array of orgs that work together to find the most up to date data on overfishing, harmful fishing practices, and ultimately responsible fishing practices.  Slapfish also partners up with the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach alongside other pro-fishing sustainability programs to keep our oceans as eco-friendly as possible for the marine eco-system. (From Slapfish website.)  

This is really bad but I totally forgot where my Mahi was from, but I'll take the story from my first trip to Slapfish.  My first fish taco a few weeks ago was caught by line by the owners friends somewhere in South Africa in his small boat without net....and I forget the rest.  Nevertheless, the story of where your fish was caught that day is but a piece of the experience at Slapfish.  Customer service was top-notch, and food was well flavored, amazingly fresh, and visually der-icious!  Oh and don't forget to check in on Instagram, Facebook, or Yelp--you get free goodies! We got an iddy-biddy lobster toast that was muy delicioso (but a tad bit too creamy...BUT FREE!!!).

We ordered their Lobster Roll which is no longer on their menu (but very much still available) a Mahi taco, and their famous Chowder fries. 


Lobster Toast


Lobster Roll
served with in house made chips and slaw


Chowder Fries


Fish Taco



Definitely a place to try out if you're in North County OC, and literally a few blocks from the ocean! Food was light and the sauces weren't too creamy.  The lobster roll I felt was a little overpriced and a bit too salty for my taste, but the taco paired with their spicy as hell habanero sauces were right on point.  Lastly, them chowder fries-- them chowder fries were damn good! 

Here's a link to Slapfish's website: http://www.slapfishrestaurant.com/

Cheers Hombres and here's to getting past hump day, 

-Henry T.



No comments:

Post a Comment